Thursday, August 25, 2011

Breaking News

Broadcasters have lost touch with the words "Breaking News". I watch a lot of CNN. Since 9/11 I believe the words "Breaking News" have burned themselves into my Television Monitor. They're using the term loosely to grab your attention but the 'cry-wolf' syndrome and law of diminishing returns have to eventually kick in.

Before the turn of the century it seems to me news was broken down into Sports, Weather, Latest News, Developing Stories and Breaking News. Breaking News was rare.


Breaking News is not a story that developed a couple hours ago. Breaking News is something developing as we watch. It doesn't come with pre-packaged pieces edited with well-written commentary. There isn't time for that. What we see the likes of Anderson Cooper and Nancy Grace dubbing "Breaking News" is generally what ought to be considered "The Latest".

Someone employed by Rupert Murdock needs to pull the reins on the term before it is squeezed dry of all meaning. Go back to terms like "The Latest" so that when we see "Breaking News" we actually watch with the anticipation of old.

Of course, I recognize they use "Breaking News" as a sales pitch. I don't buy it anymore. Do you?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lol great observation!

I have to agree and i'd like to add that the scrolling banner on the bottom of the screen is over-rated as well...

I don't watch the news except for The Daily Show and Colbert Report...

I read all other news on Drudge...

I can't handle the news media- too dramatic and many of them are too ignorant.

Iverson said...

Hey Free,

That scrolling bottom line makes me dizzy!

Iverson said...

So no case in point. Tonight, Piers Morgan was diverting his Larry King take-over to offer "Breaking News".

An 'expert' was explaining that by Sunday, Hurricane Irene would land in New York.

That is NOT breaking news. That is a developing story. That is a prediction for breaking news. All these stand-ups at places where a hurricane is expected to hit are simply stories. Nothing is breaking but anticipation.

It's LUNACY!

Iverson said...

I meant "NEW" case in point

Anonymous said...

Breaking News should be a live report. No repeats. No taped delay.

Anonymous said...

Bluto just noticed that you commented more on this... I should have it emailed to me so I don't miss new comments ha!

Yeah I agree that isn't breaking news!

Did you notice how the news stopped after the storm hit NYC? Silly.

Anonymous said...

How did the game go against HJ last Monday? You guys kick their butt?!

Iverson said...

Hi Steph.

We ended up playing a different team and kicking their butts. Tonight is the semi-finals, if we win we advance to next week's final.

I still mean to watch that zeitgheist link and re-engage our conversation.

Very busy ...

Anonymous said...

Ohhhh I hope you guys did well last night!!!! no worries about keeping up with the convo... I get that you're busy :) It's not so easy to keep up a convo on here anyway :) But.. I would LOVE to keep it going whenever you have a break :)

-Stef

Anonymous said...

The media should be put on trial.